Highest sports award to ONGC – receives “Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar” from President of India
Dated : 30 August 2014 06:35:11 AM
President of India Mr. Pranab Mukherjee presented Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar to ONGC at a glittering ceremony in Rashtrapati Bhavan on the occasion of National Sports Day on Friday August 29, 2014.
CMD Mr. D.K.Sarraf received the honour from the President amidst loud applause from the elite gathering. With President conferring ONGC with this prestigious National Award, the immense contribution of ONGC in development and promotion of sports in the country has got the highest recognition.
Vice President Mr Hamid Ansari and Sports Minister Mr. Sarbananda Sonowal were amongst the dignitaries present at this National Sports and Adventure Awards function. ONGC Director (HR) Mr. D.D. Misra and GM-Head Sports Mr. V.K.Mahendru were also present on this occasion.
ONGC received the Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar in thecategory of “Employment of Sports persons and sports welfare measures.”
Two ONGCians V.Diju (Badminton) and Heena Sidhu (shooting) also received Arjuna awards from the President for their impressive performance in their respective game disciplines.
On conclusion of the award presentation, CMD and Director (HR) received accolades and congratulatory messages from the elite gathering which included political leaders, senior bureaucrats, defense officials, former and current sportspersons.
During informal interaction with the dignitaries, CMD assured the continued support of ONGC for lifting the standard of sports in the country. Mr. Sarraf also took keen interest in various proposals that were discussed with him by officials from Ministry of sports and asked Head Sports to examine them.
Director (HR) Mr. D.D. Misra held one to one interaction with many a award winners including ONGCians and motivated them for improved performance. Mr. Misra promised to continue supporting the cause of sports promotion in the country in a rather bigger way so that ONGC continues to excel in this all-important social responsibility for the country.
ONGC has always been in the forefront when it comes to the development and promotion of the sports in the country. Under its sports policy, ONGC has identified promising and hidden sports talent in the country and nurtured them to take up challenges at the national and international levels.
The highest recognition, which ONGC received from the President, will provide further impetus to its efforts in sports promotion.
Some of the key performances/statistics of ONGCSports are:
- The company supports 22 game disciplines and has on its rolls currently a strength of 170 active sportspersons as regular employees of national and international repute, 165 on scholarship and 22 on contract.
- The glory does not stop there as among the international level achievers both past and present includes 27 National Awardees(1 = Khel Ratna, 2 = Padma Shri, 24 = Arjun Awardees).
- 17 commonwealth Games medals in the last two editions.
- 24 Asian Games medals in the last two editions.
- 16 ONGCians were part of the the Indian contingent that took paet in London Olympics 2012.
- ONGC was the principal sponsor of the Indian contingent for London Olympics 2012.
- A host of International and National titles by ONGCians over the years.
- Two back to back awards from Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Indusry(FICCI) in 2013 and 2014.
- Head sports of ONGC was awarded as the best sports administrator by Calcutta sports journalist club and was also on the select panel of Arjuna and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awards.