An overview of the Role & Functioning of Offshore Engineering Services
Offshore Engineering Services (OES) is a core group of multi-disciplinary engineers in ONGC entrusted with the task of creation of new facilities at Offshore as well as enhancement and revamp of existing facilities. OES provides the following facilities for Exploration and Transportation of Hydrocarbon in Western Offshore:
- Process /Living Quarter Platforms.
- Well Head Platforms
- Submarine Pipelines (Trunk lines, in-field lines)
- Clamp-on Structures
- Submarine Cables for Power and Controls
- Mobile Offshore Production Units (MOPU).
OES not only creates new facilities but also take-up revamping /up gradation of existing facilities to increase their lifespan.
OES is headed by Executive Director- Chief Offshore Engineering Services (ED-COES)
OES achieves the above through the following sub sections:
Offshore Works Division:
Offshore Works handles the project management and contract management tasks during the execution of mega offshore projects of ONGC.
Project Management Teams are responsible for the project from its conceptualization to commissioning & hand over to Asset. Project team provides total support throughout the project life cycle. This team manages the main EPC Project (Contractor) and also CA and TPI Agencies contracts.
Project team is involved at all stages of the project starting from preparation, finalization & approval of scope of work, BEC, tender document, NIT etc. till award of the project. Project team also assists in pre-award IEM cases and handles all post award dispute resolutions like OEC, Arbitrations etc..
After award of the projects, the project team monitors all project activities including Engineering Survey, Detailed Engineering, procurement, fabrication, transportation, installation, pre-commissioning and commissioning activities.
This section is headed by Head Offshore Works who reports to ED-COES and is supported by Project Managers, Project Co-ordinators & Project Engineers.
Offshore Works also comprises of two support sections – Marine Survey and HSE.
Marine Survey Section
Marine survey section is mandated with the following roles: Soil Investigations, Engineering Survey, Weather Forecast, Approval of Anchor Pattern Maintenance & Updation of Data Base of all offshore structures and also operates & maintains ONGC owned Geo-Technical Vessel Sumudra Sarveshak & hired Integrated Vessel for Soil investigation, Engineering Survey etc. this section is headed by Head Marine Survey who reports directly to HOW.
Health Safety & Environment (HSE)
HSE section caters to the requirement of statutory compliances for offshore construction activities. Role of HSE section in brief are: Safety audit of marine spreads deployed by contractors, Reporting and analysis of incidents/accidents in offshore, Coordination of trainings, ISO Certification and HSE Manual-Bridging Document this section is headed by In-charge HSE who reports directly to HOW.
Offshore Design Division :
Offshore Design Section is associated with basic design, technical bid preparation, and evaluation of bid & review of detailed engineering of various facilities and functions as an in-house engineering consultant to Offshore Engineering Services of ONGC.
The following major activities are undertaken by the Offshore Design Section:
- Association in Feasibility Report – Providing various inputs to Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) for FR
- Basic design and Technical Bid Preparation – Based on international codes/standards and users feedback.
- Cost estimation of Lump sum Turn Key (LSTK) Projects – For obtaining Sanction (FR stage) and prior to Technical Bid Opening (TBO)
- Maintenance & Updation of Vendor List for all equipment, items in the Bid package to facilitate selection of reliable vendors by Contractors.
- Updation of various technical specifications & its incorporation in bid documents
- Implementation of new technology as applicable in upcoming projects.
- Association in Tendering and award of work – Technical Query replies, Technical Bid Evaluation.
- Detailed engineering – Review of detailed engineering drawings & documents during project execution.
- Project Quality Audit – Third Tier quality surveillance by in-house PQ Audit teams to oversee quality of Contractors and also supervision by CA/TPI Agencies
- Review of Change orders, Quantity variations during project execution
- Maintain & update Database of all executed projects i.e., as-built data centre, project completion reports etc. for use in future projects.
This section is headed by the Head of Design (HOD) who reports to ED-COES and is supported by various Group Heads & Discipline Heads.
Materials Management Section
Materials Management is a support function of Engineering Services Group, which help in award of Contracts for LSTK projects and other Contracts which are ancillary to these LSTK contracts. MM Section is headed by In-charge MM who reports to ED-COES
Finance Section is a support function of Engineering Services group headed by In-charge Finance who reports to ED-COES.
Facilities created by OES Till Date:
- Process /Living Quarter platforms: 43
- Well platforms: 223
- Clamp on: 80
- Submarine pipelines/Cable: 6700 Km
Facilities created by OES:
- Process /Living Quarter platforms: 1+1LQ
- Well platforms:13
- Clamp on: 2
- Submarine pipelines/Cable: 595.46 Km
Facilities yet to come (From the awarded contracts):
- Process /Living Quarter platforms: 1
- Well platforms: 8
- Submarine pipelines/Cable: 223 Km
- MOPU: 3
Presently OES is executing 14 Projects worth Rs. 13, 159.70 Cr. 5 projects worth Rs. 5644 cr. are under Tendering Stage and 1 project is at upcoming stage, which would result in gain of 5 MMT of oil and 56.70 BCM of gas to the nation.
Therefore it can be seen that Offshore Engineering Services has handled a large number of mega projects over the years and all these projects have been successfully completed and closed resulting in creation of new facilities at Offshore.