After the discovery of the giant Bombay High and numerous onshore fields already on production, there was a need to address the issues of reservoir management. The Institute of Reservoir Studies (IRS) was established at Ahmedabad on 18th May 1978 with the objective to develop and apply reservoir engineering techniques to maximize hydrocarbon recoveries through proper reservoir management of oil & gas fields.
IRS, an ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001: 2015, ISO 45001: 2015 certified R&D Institute is the nodal agency for formulating the development schemes of oil and gas fields of ONGC with state of the art Data Centre to carry out seismic to reservoir simulation. The emphasis is on Integrated Reservoir Management combining Seismic, Geological, Well logging, Reservoir and Production. It works as a premium agency with modern laboratories facilities to prepare long-term strategies for field development and EOR (Chemical, Thermal and High Pressure Air Injection) applications, design, commissioning and monitor EOR processes in mature fields to enhance secondary and tertiary recoveries.
1. Significant Projects:
High impact projects of IRS during 2022-23 are given below:
- Selection and simulation study of pilot area for Chemical EOR in MH field
- Water Flood Optimization through Data Physics Modelling in Mumbai High Field
- Simulation Studies of Mukta and Bassein Pays of Neelam Field
- Dynamic modeling of NBP field incorporating 3D-4C data
- Reservoir Simulation studies and Generation of production profiles for fields under PEL/PML Blocks of KG Offshore
- Simulation study of Barail sands of Kuargaon field
- Simulation study of TS-2 pay of Geleki field
- Identification of missed opportunity using machine learning for pay sands of Central Gandhar field
- Review of Reservoir Performance of Vankor field, Russia
- Conducting Tracer Surveys for Reservoir Characterisation ( SWTT & IWTT) in Onshore Fields
- Conducting Tracer Surveys for Reservoir Characterisation ( SWTT & IWTT) in Offshore Fields
2. Technologies upgraded/ inducted:
- Induction of AI/ML based software of M/s. Tachyus, USA for Waterflood Management/Optimisation: “Data Physics Optimisation Software” of M/s. Tachyus for pilot application in Heera & MH Field with project period of 1 year for waterflood optimisation.
- Low Salinity Water Flood (LSWF) Pilot in Mumbai High South field to improve incremental recovery.
3. Papers published/presented for National-International Journal/Conferences:
- A. Patents Filed: 01
- An Improved Gel Formation and a Process for Preparing an Improved Gel Formation
- B. Patents obtained: None
- C. Copyrights Filed: None
- D. Copyrights registered: None